As a matter of fact, we are having it tonite with Roasted Chicken and Cinnamon Yam Bites! Yeeeeuuuummm!
This recipe was given to me, probably 25 or more years ago, by my friend, Rema. I have prepared it countless times and my family loves it. Now I often make it when I am on my own. That’s when I don’t have anything else with it – no meat – no salad – nothing. It’s oniony, creamy, and tangy with parmeson cheese. Better comfort food I’ve never found! I often throw in a little grated mozzarella, or asiago right into the onions if I have a bit on hand. Last night it was a tablespoon of ricotta, some extra parmeson and a bit of asiago. Any yellow onions can be used but if you use sweet onions the taste is out of this world!
- 4 cups sliced onions
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cream (I use condensed milk and it tastes delicious)
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese
- extra cheese (a little grated mozzarella or asiago, or 1 tbsp ricotta or parmesan) – optional
- salt and pepper
- Place onions and butter in casserole dish and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes.
- Keep the lid on the dish so the onions steam a little bit.
- Meanwhile, beat eggs lightly, mix in cream, salt and pepper.
- Add any little bits of cheese to the mix then add to the casserole and stir.
- Cover with the parmeson cheese and bake, uncovered 15 minutes at 425 degrees.