When we first moved to our current city, we lucked out and met some great neighbours, who became good friends for the short time they lived here. This lemon loaf recipe came from her. I now make it every year when my in-laws bring back a box of citrus fruit for us from Arizona. I don’t make it at any other time of the year for some reason, but in February, it’s a nice little ray of much needed sunshine.
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- Grated rind from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup sugar
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add ½ flour mix to butter mix.
- Then add ½ milk.
- Add rest of flour mix.
- Add rest of milk. And add lemon gratings.
- Line a loaf pan with wax paper.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 45-50 minutes, or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- In the mean time, combine the lemon juice with the ¼ cup sugar. (Or you could use your lemon sugar and add your lemon juice to it.)
- When the cake is done baking, take it out of the oven, and pierce holes in it with a knife. Pour lemon juice/sugar mix over warm cake.
- Let sit. This cake is even better the next day.