Well there’s a Boston Creme Pie Cupcake bandwagon, and I’ve jumped on it.
With 2 feet.
These are fun, and so yummy!
For the Cupcakes:
1 package of yellow or white cake mix
1 package of vanilla pudding powder
For the Icing:
Chocolate Ganache Icing
- 6 oz of semi-sweet chocolate (I used Baker’s)
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
Making the Chocolate Ganache.
- Grate your chocolate squares, and put into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, simmer your ⅔ cup cream for a few minutes, just so it’s nice and hot.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate. Don’t stir it yet – let it sit and just wait for about 2 minutes.
- Then gently stir. Let sit again for 2 minutes.
- Stir gently again until fully combined. I think this is to prevent bubbles.
- Let cool.
Step 1: Bake cupcakes according to package directions. Let cool.
Step 2: Make pudding according to package directions. Let cool.
Step 3: Fill cupcakes. I used a cupcake frosting contraption, filled with the pudding, as shown above.
You could also use a ziplock bag with the corner cut out.
Note: There are 2 options for doing this.
1. You can just squeeze the pudding into the centre of the cupcake, taking care to not overfill, or your cupcake will split. (I used this method, and it worked fine, except some cupcakes had a lot of pudding, and some not so much. With this method it’s hard to know how much pudding goes in.)
2. Or, you can cut a core out in the centre of your cupcake and fill that. I think I would try this next time.
Step 4: Making the Chocolate Ganache. Yum.
Grate your chocolate squares. And put into a bowl. Set aside.
In a saucepan, simmer your 2/3 cup cream for a few minutes, just so it’s nice and hot.
Pour the cream over the chocolate. Don’t stir it yet – let it sit and just wait for about 2 minutes.
Then gently stir. Let sit again for 2 minutes.
Stir gently again until fully combined. I think this is to prevent bubbles.
Step 5: Pour ganache over your cupcakes.
This ganache was tasty way beyond my expectations. I did not have high hopes for it’s flavour or texture, but it was fabulous. So easy, and so good, and I will definitely make it again for other cakes.
Step 6: Eat.