This weekend is officially known as Victoria Day Long Weekend,
marking the birthday of the late Queen Victoria.
But unofficially, it marks the beginning of summer here!
And summer long weekends mean BBQ time! (come rain or snow!)
We love BBQ’ing, and this dish is one of our favourites! Veggie & Sausage Shish Kabobs!
Veggie & Sausage Shish Kabobs
- Sausages (I used Mild Italian Sausages)
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Peppers (Red, Orange, Yellow)
- And what ever other veggies suit your tastes! (mushrooms, potatoes…)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Seasonings (I like to use Lowry’s Seasoning Salt)
- If you are using wooden skewers, first soak them for about 15-30 minutes in water. This helps to prevent them from burning on the BBQ.
- Turn on your BBQ to the highest setting to get it ready.
- Cut up all veggies (except the tomatoes) and the sausage into large bite size pieces.
- In a saucepan of boiling water, cook veggies (except for the tomatoes, leave these raw) for 2-5 minutes, just to partially cook them. I find this works really well, as opposed to adding them raw directly to the BBQ. They don’t end up burned or undercooked, and are done at the same time as the sausage.
- Toss all the veggies, including the tomatoes, with the olive oil, seasonings and pepper.
- Then add your partially cooked veggies, and chunks of uncooked sausage to your skewers.
- Add your assembled skewers directly to the BBQ grill, and turn down the heat to med-high.
- Turn frequently.
- If you find they are darkening too fast, move them onto tin foil on the higher shelf in your BBQ.
Serve with rice or quinoa!