So to finish up my Thanksgiving menu, here is my go-to recipe for stuffing!
It’s buttery, rich and so flavourful!
Oh, and it soaks up gravy amazingly!!
Harvest Apple & Herb Stuffing
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup butter
- 8-9 cups cubed bread (I like to use a mix of white, whole wheat and pumpernickel)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup raisins and apples
- In a large fry pan, cook celery and onions in butter until tender.
- Add bread cubes, and mix until the bread is coated in butter.
- Add salt, spices, raisins and apples. Combine well.
At this point you can do either of two things:
- Stuff your turkey with the stuffing and bake it that way, or
- Bake the stuffing separately. To do this, put the stuffing in a casserole dish, cover it, and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven, for 45 minutes. Then uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.
- You can use any kind of bread that you wish. All white, or mix in whole wheat, raisin bread, cranberry multi-grain…
- Use real butter, not margarine. It makes all the difference with the flavour!