Last week I saw a dessert on Pinterest that I knew I had to make…
…it was screaming to me from the computer screen!
So I clicked over to the original source, and saw
the most amazing looking Strawberry Cream Pie from LemonBasil.
I decided to make mine a tart because we love tarts!
Perfect for a mid-winter pick-me-up wouldn’t you agree?
So come on in, and have a slice…it’s just tooooooo delish not to share!
Strawberry Cream Tart
The recipe is split into 3 parts: Crust, Cream Filling and Strawberries & Sauce…so make each in that order:
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1 egg, beaten
The Cream Filling:
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp corn starch
- 3 tbsp flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup sour cream
Strawberries & Sauce:
- 3 cups of strawberries
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Then, in a food processor, blend flour mix with butter.
- Add egg, and mix until it looks like sand.
- Press down into a 25 cm flan/tart pan. Make sure that the sides of the flan are somewhat higher than the centre of the crust. The centre is going to hold your cream filling, so it needs somewhere to sit…
- Refrigerate for at least 25 minutes. Or you can put it into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Then bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the crust is slightly browned.
- Remove from tart pan. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan mix together sugar, corn starch, flour and salt.
- On medium-high heat, slowly stir in the cream. Stir constantly and bring to a boil, then reduce heat. Stir until thick.
- Stir a little of the hot mixture with the egg, then return to the saucepan, and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, cool then chill.
- Once chilled, add sour cream and mix well. I used a hand blender to make a creamy consistency.
- Set aside.
The Strawberries & Sauce:
- Cut 2½ cups of strawberries into quarters. Set aside.
- Take the other ½ cup of strawberries and puree. I used a hand blender.
- Put the strawberry puree and water into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat.
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar and corn starch. Then add the mix to the strawberry puree.
- Stir constantly until sauce thickens. Set aside to cool.
- Once the sauce has cooled, pour it over the cut strawberries, and mix well.
Putting it all together:
- Pour the cream mixture into your tart shell.
- Add strawberries.
- Serve immediately, or chill before serving.
Crust recipe adapted from homemadesimple.com, Filling recipe from Lemonbasil, Sauce Recipe from Lemonbasil