I really can’t believe that Easter is only a few days away!
Where has the time gone?!
Doesn’t matter to me, because it actually feels like spring might be here to stay!
The robins are chirping, the purple finches are singing, and the sun is shining. Whew.
We might just have made it through another Canadian winter.
Now with Easter being this weekend, it really feels hopeful!
I love everything about Easter…it’s one of my most favourite times of the year.
The food, the spring colours, the Easter Bunny! Love.
Back to the food! I love Easter dishes.
Especially this salad! It is a staple at all of our Easter dinners, and has been for years.
Every family get together meant someone made this! It’s a fantastic side dish with a baked ham!
It’s so simple. Chances are you already have everything in your kitchen.
Note: This salad should be refrigerated for 24 hours before serving, so make it the day before you want to eat it!
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts (you can find these in the Asian food aisle)
- 1 bunch chopped green onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 10 oz package frozen peas (leave uncooked)
- 1 lb cooked crisp bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- You can use any kind of serving dish that you wish. A 9×13 glass lasagna pan works great. Or a trifle dish…I recommend anything glass so you can see the salad!
- Have your bacon cooked and crumbled. And your hard boiled eggs ready.
- Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar. Mix well. Set aside.
- Layer the ingredients: lettuce, celery, peas, water chestnuts, green pepper, onions.
- Add sliced eggs and bacon (but leave some bacon out to sprinkle on top).
- Sprinkle on the cheese.
- Seal the salad with the mayo mix, making sure to cover the salad mix completely to the edge of the dish.
- NOTE: Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.
Recipe from my Mom
Layer, layer, layer. And you really can do this step how ever you wish.
I really hope you enjoy this as much as we do!
Now keeping with the theme of Easter for a minute,
if you are looking for a dessert to serve this weekend, here are two fabulous treats!