It’s in the same aisle as the quinoa and all the rice and sprouted grain mixes.
We’d never seen it before (and the package was pretty) so we thought we would try it!
And are we ever glad we did!
Savoury Vegetarian Couscous
1 cup Pearl Harvest Couscous mix
1 cup water
3 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 red, yellow or orange pepper, diced
4 green onions, sliced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
salt & pepper to taste
- Bring the water to a boil, then add the couscous. Let it return to a boil.
- Once the pot has returned to a boil, cover it, and remove it from the heat.
- Let it stand for 8 minutes or until the water has been all soaked up.
- Stir with a fork to fluff it up.
- While the couscous is sitting, heat the olive oil in a frying pan, and cook the garlic, peppers and onions. Saute.
- In a serving dish, combine the tomatoes, basil, parmesan cheese, and vinegar.
- Then add the couscous. Stir.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add them to the mixture and combine.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with a little extra parmesan cheese.
- This is best served warm, not hot. But the leftovers are good the next day cold.
- This dish goes perfectly as a side with BBQ’d chicken! (or a meal on it’s own for lunch!)