One of the best things about this time of year is all the produce.
The farmers markets are brimming with everything your foodie heart desires!
Whenever I visit one, I literally vibrate and don’t know where to start…I want everything! ;)
The one thing I always come home with though, is zucchini.
I love everything zucchini:
You name it, I’ll make it!
This season I really wanted to make a chocolate zucchini cake.
I’ve had these before and loved them, but I had never made one.
So made one I did!
I knew the kids would love it…and it was a hit!
This is a delicious cake!
(Cake, loaf, bread…what ever you want to call it…what exactly are they anyway? I want to call them loaves….?)
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Serves: Makes 2 loaves.
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini (about 1 medium zucchini)
- 1½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare 2 loaf pans. I use wax paper to line them.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, combine the sugar, butter and vegetable oil.
- Then add the eggs, mixing well.
- In a separate measuring cup combine the buttermilk and vanilla.
- To the butter mixture, add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk (3 additions of each). Combine.
- Add the zucchini. Combine.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean.
Recipe from epicurious.com.
Notes and Tips!
- This recipe makes 2 loaves, so you can freeze one for later!
- This recipe is quite cake-y, so it would probably make a great birthday cake. If you want to bake it as a sheet cake, prepare a 9×13 pan, and bake for about 50 minutes.
Dig in and enjoy with a glass of milk!
If chocolate isn’t your thing, or you just want a great traditional zucchini bread,
this is the one I made last summer!
It’s still the BEST. The Best.
Have a delicious day!