I think meatloaf gets such a bad rap!
It’s one of those things that you aren’t supposed to like for some reason, but we love meatloaf.
Like my daughter says, it’s really just a big yummy meatball! Mmmmm…she’s so right!
Meatloaf is an easy meal for a weeknight because it’s quick to make,
you can make it ahead of time, and it’s delicious!
So if you don’t have one already, this is a great recipe!
It’s meaty, hearty and so great drenched in the sweet & sour sauce!
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup oats (see notes)
- salt & pepper
- This makes a lot of sauce, so use half for the baking, and half for serving.
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp mustard
- ½ – 1 cup brown sugar (I use ½ cup)
- Make your sauce first by combining all the ingredients and mixing well. I use a hand blender to do this. Set aside.
- Combine beef, onion, milk, egg, oats, salt & pepper.
- Press the meat mixture down into a loaf pan, then make a well down the centre of the loaf. To do this, just run a table knife lengthwise down the centre of the loaf, making about a ¼ x ¼ inch indent.
- Pour about ½ of the sauce into the well, and coating the top of the loaf a bit. Save the other half of the sauce for when you serve the meatloaf.
- At this point, you can put the meatloaf into the fridge until you are ready to bake it that evening.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Drain. And put onto a serving plate.
- Drizzle on the remaining sauce when serving the meatloaf.
Recipe from The Joy of Cooking
Notes & Tips!
- Meatloaf is great served with mashed potatoes and peas or green beans.
- If you don’t want to use oats in your meatloaf, you can use bread crumbs instead.
What are your favourite classic meals?
Leave a link in the comments if you’ve got a fave you’d like to share!
Have a delicious day!