Many of us are hunkered down in winter weather! And what better time for comfort food like Macaroni & Cheese? Add some broccoli and it’s the full meal deal.
Healthy. Delicious. And on the table in under 1 hour.
My oldest boy, who is somewhat of a picky eater, constantly asks for this. Even last night, as I set dinner down on to the table, he took one look at it and asked me when I was going to make ‘that’ macaroni & cheese again… Hmmmm, I’m not sure whether to take that as a compliment or not…. ;)
Anyway, a quick dinner idea for your hectic days!
Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can evaporated milk (370 mL)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (old cheddar has great flavour)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- In a large pot, boil the pasta according to package directions.
- When it is cooked, drain the water. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the broccoli until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, and stir to make a paste.
- Then slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the mustard, paprika and salt. Whisk.
- Sprinkle in the cheese, and stir the mixture continuously until it is melted.
- Toss the pasta with the cheese sauce. Add the broccoli and stir in.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Chef Michael Smith
- For extra flavourful mac & cheese use old cheddar. Or if you prefer a more mild flavour you can use a medium cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese.
- If you don’t have evaporated milk, this recipe works well with using just all regular milk. (so roughly 3 1/2 cups milk)
- You can serve the macaroni in individual dishes with melted cheese on top.
- Just sprinkle on some extra grated cheese to each dish, and line the dishes up on a cookie sheet in the oven. Broil until the cheese is melted, bubbling and light brown.
Yummy Linking: SNAP, Thirty Handmade Days, Tatertots & Jello, Funky Junk Interiors, I should be mopping the floor