I think that one of my most favourite dinners has to be meatballs. I don’t know why, but I just really love them! And I know that on meatball night everyone will be enjoying their dinner, because they’re a family favourite too! Especially sweet & sour meatballs.
I have a go to recipe that we all really love, but it’s full of sugar, which is fine, but it’s not a recipe that I like to make too often. So when I saw this quick and easy recipe, I really wanted to try it out. It’s not complicated, and I feel better about the ingredients in it. As soon as I saw pineapple as an ingredient I was sold!
I actually found this recipe while doing a book review of the cookbook, The Newlywed Cookbook by Robin Miller. One of my most favourite parts of being a blogger, is having the opportunity to test out cookbooks! Love that! This cookbook is filled with fabulous recipes that are simple to make and I actually like almost all of them. The only drawback about this book is that there are no pictures. I just need pictures in my cookbooks. But it’s a good book, nonetheless! Love the recipes!
Anyway, back to the sweet and sour meatballs…I think you’ll enjoy this recipe too!
With these simple ingredients, you can have dinner on the table in under 1 hour!
- 1 batch of meatballs (you can find my recipe here)
- 1 14oz can crushed pineapple (in unsweetened juice)
- 3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Cook your meatballs by your preferred method. I like to bake mine in the oven on a baking sheet, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. (I find it’s less messy, and so easy.)
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan over low-medium heat, combine the pineapple, Hoisin sauce and brown sugar. Simmer for about 5 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- Once the meatballs are cooked thoroughly, remove them from the baking sheet and transfer them to a large skillet/fry pan.
- Add the pineapple sauce to the skillet, and over medium heat, simmer the meatballs and sauce for about 5-10 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice, and with a green vegetable!
Sweet. Tangy and meaty! Yum!