It’s time again for the Secret Recipe Club!
Brown Sugar Baked Granola
4 cups rolled oats (don’t use quick oats)
1/2 cup butter (not margarine)
1/4 cup water
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium to large pot, melt butter, then mix in sugar and water.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon. Combine.
- Add oats. Mix well.
- Spread onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. The granola won’t stick to the parchment paper, so it’s a must to use!
- Bake for 15-25 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t burn. See tips.
- If you like granola more chewy, then bake it for about 15 minutes. If you like it more crunchy and with more toasted oat-y flavour, bake it longer. One thing to note, the granola will harden as it cools, so don’t fret if it’s falling apart. After about 15 minutes or so of cooling, it will harden into chunks.
- I think next time I would substitute in some honey for a nice honey flavour punch!
- You can also substitute peanut butter for the butter if you want to make Peanut Butter Granola.
- For extra nutrition you can add chia seeds, hemp seeds, raisins, shredded coconut…use your imagination!
- I would substitute in some honey for a nice honey flavour punch! (I would probably do 1/3 brown sugar and 2/3 honey.)
- I would also add flaked coconut (maybe 1/2 cup) and maybe a 1/4 – 1/2 cup of peanut butter! Yum!
- Break up the granola into chunks.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Store in a closed container in a cool dry place.
- The best thing about making homemade trail mix is that you can add what ever you like to it. The possibilities are endless! Here are some options!
- Dried fruit of all kinds: apricots, cherries, blueberries, apples, craisins
- Sunflower seeds
- All kinds of nuts: peanuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, either toasted or untoasted. Toasted nuts pack more flavour!
- If you want to make a nut-free version, add candy roasted chickpeas instead of nuts!