Sometimes there is just nothing better than a good old fashioned dessert like
It’s sweet, creamy, apple-y and cinnamon-y. Yes. Please.
And I will eat it for breakfast too.
(After the kids are in school so that I don’t have to share…oops, did I say that out loud?)
Classic Apple Crisp
- 4 cups peeled and chopped apples bite size pieces
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup water or apple juice
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- dash salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted butter
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
In one bowl combine chopped apples, lemon juice, sugar and water. Stir.
Let the apple mix rest while you make the crumble topping. Make sure to stir it a couple of times.
While the apple mix is resting, in a separate bowl combine the flour, oats, salt and sugar.
Pour the melted butter over the oat mix, and stir to combine.
Transfer the apple mix to an oven proof dish (a 1.6L casserole dish works great).
Crumble the oat mix on top of the apples. Do NOT stir.
Bake uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- For extra nutrition you can add chopped nuts, hemp hearts or wheat germ to your crumble topping mixture (before baking).
- This recipe can be served warm or cold. And with cream, whip cream or ice cream!
- Apple Crisp is the perfect dessert to go with Roasted Chicken!