Macaroni & Cheese with Broccoli
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 can evaporated milk (370 mL)
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated (old cheddar has great flavour)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped into bite size pieces
- In a large pot, boil the pasta according to package directions.
- When it is cooked, drain the water. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the broccoli until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In the meantime, melt the butter in a saucepan, and add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the flour, and stir to make a paste.
- Then slowly pour in the milk, while whisking, and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the mustard, paprika and salt. Whisk.
- Sprinkle in the cheese, and stir the mixture continuously until it is melted.
- Toss the pasta with the cheese sauce. Add the broccoli and stir in.
- If you wish, you can also sprinkle on some extra grated cheese on to the dish, and broil until the cheese is melted, bubbling and light brown. Just make sure to use an oven proof dish.
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe by A Pretty Life In The Suburbs at http://www.aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com/macaroni-cheese-with-broccoli/