This past weekend, we had a really nice visit with my Mom & Dad. Comfort food was on the menu! My family loves apple pie, especially my Dad. I only had one crust in the freezer, a huge bag of apples, and ingredients for a crumble, so I thought, I’d put them all together and make an Apple Crumble Pie! I love to wing it with cooking, and it doesn’t always work out, but this time it did! Yeeeuum!
This recipe makes 2 crusts, so after you split the dough in half, you can freeze one half for later!)
- Make your crust first.
- Sift flour, salt and sugar into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly. In fact crumbly makes for a tender, flaky crust!
- This recipe makes 2 – 9″ crusts, so split the ball in 2, and freeze one half for later.
- Press the crust into a 9″ pie plate.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Assemble your pie: Crust, add apple mix, top with crumble.
- Bake for about 1 hour, or until you see the apple mix bubbling up from under the crumble.