I like to have goals. Goals help me to focus and get things done!
So I’m going to put together a post of all the things I want to get done around our home for this upcoming year. But before that, I wanted to go back and do an update on how my goals for our home worked out last year.
So here are the goals I had last year, and an update on whether we met them or not:
- My first goal for our home, was to live in it, in the moment. To stop wishing for a new home, a fourth bedroom, a better location… So did we do that? Well mostly. We haven’t moved. And I do love my home. But this point is carrying over into my home goals for 2013. We are going to make some minor changes to our house in order to make it more comfortable and liveable for all of us.
- The Master Bedroom. Our goals were to make this space more ours. Paint a feature wall, get some new bedding, new lamps and keep it tidy. Success here! While our room still isn’t my dream space, I am very happy with it thus far. We painted our feature wall, bought a new duvet cover that I adore, added some new lamps, and I finally picked an accent colour: blue. It’s a sanctuary that we try very hard to keep clean and serene! I’m planning on doing a home tour, with pictures of this room, so stay tuned.
- The Laundry Room. Our goals were to paint this space and optimize it’s storage capabilities. Mission failed. This room is overwhelming to tackle. We have so much stuff…our weather is crazy so we have a never ending, constant supply of spring coats, intermediate coats, down coats, flip flops, running shoes, rubber boots, winter boots, mittens, touques, sunscreen, umbrellas…all at the same time…you get the idea. Moving this goal over to 2013 with some serious attention.
- The Bonus Room, also known as the playroom. Our goals were to paint this space and get it organized. Well that’s a work in progress! We’ve managed to purge a lot of stuff and get it a lot leaner: tossed the disgusting couch and chair, and got rid of things that didn’t work. I don’t want to have any more junk that doesn’t work. Get rid of the clutter. So that much we accomplished for this room. And painting? We didn’t do that in 2012…but we tackled it this year! Stay tuned for an update on this space. We may not have finished everything we wanted in 2012, but we’re rolling it over into our home goals for 2013!
- The Basement. Well let’s just say we still have a lot of work to do there.
So you may be asking yourselves, what exactly did we accomplish as part of our home goals for 2012? Well, funny thing is, we ended up tackling a few other rooms and tasks that we didn’t anticipate. We tried. We did…at the very least our goals gave us some focus and a place to work towards. Also, I do have to say that 2012 presented us with some unanticipated challenges and struggles. After my pulmonary embolism in February, a lot of stuff got pushed to the side. I needed time to heal both physically and emotionally…2012 was a tough year for us.
Having said that, we did accomplish a few things that weren’t on our initial home goals list:
- We redid our main floor powder room. I love this little bathroom! It’s like a breath of fresh air!
- We finally moved our 2 boys (ages 3 and 9) into the same room! This was a major feat! Major. I can’t even begin to tell you how major this is! Our oldest son spent the good part of one year with our home office as his bedroom. It was all we could do. We tried to put the two boys into the same room initially, but it was way too soon…our youngest son was not ready to have a room mate. It became party central almost every night around 3AM. Not good. It was either the family slept properly, or we didn’t, so we moved our oldest sons bed and stuff into our office. It was tougher on me I think, having him in there. I felt bad, but I kept reminding myself that people used to raise upwards of 8 kids in 2 bedroom houses. We could certainly do this temporary room shuffle…he wasn’t suffering, lol! His digs were pretty nice, but they weren’t his. So this fall we finally moved him back into the room with our youngest. Success. If there was anything to accomplish in our home last year, this was it!
- We got our home office back up and running as a home office. I feel so much more organized now.
I have higher hopes for our home goals for 2013. All in keeping with my theme word for 2013…
Just do it. Make it happen. Accomplish. Achieve. Act.
Stay tuned for my Home Goals for 2013! I’m excited about everything we want to do!
Have an inspired day!