Whew. The holidays are over. (Oops did I use my outside voice?)
The tree is down, the house is cleaned and all the treats are gone.
No seriously, I had a wonderful holiday season, but I love to get back to normal.
I actually really love January.
I love it’s fresh-start feel. I love the dark nights. I love the cold crunchy weather,
the flannel sheets, skating, and of course all of the tummy warming dinners!
Like so many resolutions made to get healthy this time of year, I do have a family goal to eat homemade, healthy dinners. I like to cook. I like real food. And I like my family to eat at home as much as possible.
So to start off the year, let’s eat good food. Real food.
The Perfect Pot Roast
- 1 4lb beef pot roast (I like to use inside rounds – they are inexpensive and tasty after long roasting)
- 2 carrots
- 1 celery
- 1 large onion
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into chunks
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1 L beef broth
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In a roasting pan, lay your roast in the centre of the pan.
- Rub on oregano, salt & pepper.
- Chop the carrots, celery, onions and garlic.
- Spread the vegetables around the roast.
- Pour the beef broth over the vegetables.
- Bake for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender, and falling apart easily with a fork.
- About halfway through, I like to flip the roast over. I also check it occasionally, just to make sure the top isn’t drying out. If it looks dry, flip it over.
- When the roast is done, you will be left with au jus, and like to make a gravy out of this! Just remove the vegetables, and set aside the meat, then make the gravy with the juices. Soooo good!
- I like to use a large roast (at least 4 pounds), because I want the leftovers for soup. Here’s a simple soup recipe for dinner the next night!
Hearty Beef Soup
- The next day, to the left overs (including the gravy) I add another 1 L of beef broth, some extra veggies (chopped carrots, celery and onion – for extra flavour you can brown these in butter first), and some pearl barley (about 2 tbsp dried), season to taste, and simmer for about 45 minutes. Voila, we have soup for dinner! Serve with crusty bread! Yummy and easy!
- Hearty Beef Soup
- You can pretty much use any kind of roast you find in your grocery store. Remember the meat doesn’t have to be expensive to be delicious! The less marbling the meat has, the longer it cooks in the broth, the more tender it will be.
Have a delicious day!