This Banana Bread Sheet Cake is a tender and delicious cake recipe! Great for snacking or even as a birthday cake.
– – – – – – –
Happy Friday friends!
Here’s a fun fact for you this Friday morning…did you know that February 23 is National Banana Bread Day. Yep. It’s such a thing. So of course we have to celebrate it! I mean is there anything more comforting and tasty than banana bread? The smell of it baking…eating it with slabs of butter (if that’s your thing). It’s just so good.
And I know there are a gazillion different banana bread recipes out there, and we all have our favourite, so when a new amazing recipe is found it must be shared. It’s our duty don’t you know. So I made one. I made you a Banana Bread Sheet Cake….better known as the best banana bread/cake I have ever ever ever tasted. No word of a lie.
It is soft, banana-y, and moist. Even at day 3, this cake was SO moist. In fact it seemed to get more moist as the days went on…but by early day 3 it was gone. Poof.
This recipe is a keeper.
- 3 – 4 ripe bananas (mashed about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup butter (at room temp)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9×13 baking dish. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs, mixing in one at a time. Then add the vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a separate large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate small bowl mix together the milk and sour cream.
Now it’s time to put it all together:
- Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, followed by 1/3 of the milk/sour cream mixture and repeat until it is all combined.
- To this batter add the mashed bananas and mini chocolate chips, then combine.
- Pour the batter into your 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. (Check your cake after 30 minutes to see how it is baking.)
- Cool and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Just a Pinch
If you like, because this is a sheet cake, you can serve it with a vanilla buttercream icing. But we didn’t think it needed it with the addition of the chocolate chips. But you could add icing…in fact this would be a great birthday cake!
I hope you try it…you won’t be sorry!
For more delicious recipes, check out these delicious banana breads/muffins/cakes from the rest of the crew in my Friday Recipe Club!