This Banana Bread is a classic recipe. Simple, comforting and tastes like home.
– – – – –
Who doesn’t love a good old fashioned piece of banana bread? Making banana bread is such a delicious way to use up those old bananas that no one will eat, and we get quite a few of those around here. No one will touch a banana if there’s even a speck of brown on them. Picky picky.
So this week I tackled my growing stash of ripe bananas and made some loaves. This is comfort food at it’s best, and perfect for any time of year. This recipe makes 1 loaf, but if you wish to have 2, it is easily doubled.
I love making loaves…everyone here loves them, and I like being able to put one in the freezer for later. It’s such a nice feeling to go to the freezer and be able to have something ready for snacking. So every once in a while I spend a Sunday baking loaves for the week ahead. Last week I was busy and made some banana loaves and chocolate zucchini loaves. So good.
Yummmmm. Can’t you just smell them?
This banana bread recipe is my favourite. It’s simple and classic and tastes just like how banana bread is supposed to.
- This recipe is easily doubled.
- You can add a 1/2 cup nuts or chocolate chips to the batter after you have folded in the bananas.
- It’s really delicious to generously sprinkle on Vanilla Bean Sugar to the top of the loaf before baking.
- If you find you don’t have extra bananas around your house, most grocery stores have a section of more ripe bananas that are more inexpensive to buy than regular bananas, and are perfect for baking.
– – – –
This recipe makes 1 loaf, but it is easily doubled if you would like 2.
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (about 2 bananas)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Then beat the flour mix into the butter mix, until it has the consistency of brown sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Fold in the mashed banana.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
Anyway, have a delicious day!
** This post has been updated with new photos! **