Behind the scenes over here, during the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, we have been working on our basement renovation. And let’s just tell it like it is…when I say we, I mean my husband and our friend. It’s been a challenge with the timing of the holidays, but it is coming along swimmingly!
So far with our basement renovation, I introduced you to DRIcore subfloor, then showed you how the subfloor looked after we installed it. After the DRIcore subfloor was installed, we were ready to put up the DRIcore SMARTWALL panel system, and that’s where I last left you on our basement journey.
So just to remind you how things looked before we started, here’s a ‘Before’ shot of our basement.
And here is how it looked after we installed the DRIcore subfloor:
Looking good, looking good! After the flooring was in, we couldn’t believe how different things were looking and feeling! The basement suddenly didn’t feel like a pit. It was brighter and warmer, and actually felt useable! We could hardly wait to see how it changed after the installation of the SMARTWALL panels.
Are you ready?
Ta da! We have walls people! THIS IS EXCITING!!
We can really envision our finished basement now…itsagonnahappen! Between the DRIcore subfloor and the SMARTWALL panels, we’re halfway there! I am so excited I can’t even begin to tell you! Our son is finally going to get his own room, we’re finally going to get an organized storage room and our house overall is going to look and feel and be clutter free. We’ve got plans for a GIGANTIC storage room down here….in this exact spot actually! Very very exciting news for this type A organized person! 😉
– – – – – – –
So now let’s talk about SMARTWALL and how it is making this basement journey happen for us! For simplicity sake, I just want to share our highlights, and hands on experience with installing the DRIcore SMARTWALL. So for more detailed information on the installation of DRIcore SMARTWALL, including a video, click here!
DRIcore SMARTWALL is a product that combines framing, insulation, drywall and a vapour barrier into a R16 high performance wall panel. In one easy step you lock the tongue and groove panels together to form finished walls.
DRIcore SMARTWALL panels come with micro-beveled edges which eliminates the need for taping seams. To achieve a perfect seamless finish you use an easy to apply product called DRIcore Patch Pro which eliminates the need to mud and tape! After the Patch Pro has been applied and sanded, the panels are ready to be painted. How amazing is that?
– – – – – – –
PLANNING THE SMARTWALL INSTALLATION
In our basement reno planning stages we used the project calculator to calculate how many SMARTWALL panels we would need for our exterior walls. There are 3 types of panels you need to consider: the solid and primed panels, as well as panels with light switch boxes and electrical outlets.
Each panel is fitted with wiring channels for all the electrical, so you just have to decide where you want your outlets and light switches (see tips). We also ran our electrical wires as we put up the panels.
– – – – – – –
INSTALLING THE DRIcore SMARTWALL
The installation of the SMARTWALL requires thoughtful preparation, but after this part is done, the installation is easy!
The panels require a tracking system to be installed before they are put up.
The recommended size for the tracking system is for 2″ x 2″ lumber tracks that are attached to the floor joists and subfloor. We made ours a little wider.
Once the tracking system was down, and we completed our prep, the SMARTWALL panels went up easily. We started the SMARTWALL panel installation at an outside corner, and worked our way outwards to the following inside corners. Again, for more detailed installation instructions you can refer here, as well as a video here!
– – – – – – –
TIPS & TIDBITS WE LEARNED WHILE INSTALLING DRIcore SMARTWALL:
- Make sure you know the building code requirements for your area! We had to do some extra work to make sure our basement was up to code before the panels even went up.
- Print off the DRIcore SMARTWALL detailed instruction guide. You can find it here. We kept having to run and grab a laptop to check, and double check installation details.
- Put a lot of thought into where you want lights switches and electrical outlets. Not only do you want to make sure to order enough panels with outlets and switches, but you need to consider how you will be using your basement. Make outlets and light switches accessible.
- Take the time to prep! There is quite a bit of preparation involved in the installation of the panels. If you take the time to do the prep, then the SMARTWALL installation is easy, and will go very quickly. Also, having an extra set of hands to help with the plumb bob part of preparation makes for a way easier time.
- Make sure you have 5 inch screws! These are hard to find, and you may need to order them ahead of time.
- Buy a good hand saw. It isn’t hard to cut the wall panels but having a nice sharp saw makes going through the wood portions of the panels that much easier.
- Have a supply of shims on hand. Your house is not going to be 100% square or level, so having shims handy will help keep things level as needed.
- Remove the required electrical outlet knockouts when you cut the panel to size. It’s much easier to remove them before the panel is installed.
- Run your electrical wires as you go. Fishing wires after the walls are up is not easy. It’s much easier to run them as you go. Or have an electrician do this.
- Save your scrap pieces. We cut tongue and groove portions from scraps to hammer in panels with our mallet.
- You can cut additional electrical boxes into the panels. Don’t feel constrained by singular box panels! We did this to incorporate a future entertainment system and extra cable outlets.
We’re SO happy with our progress so far, and I can’t wait to show you more pictures of the DRIcore subfloor and SMARTWALL panels all installed! We’ll also talk about using the Patch Pro and doing finishing touches! Stay tuned!
– – – – – – –
Thank you so much for reading along! Have a great day!
Disclosure: DRIcore® has generously provided us with the DRIcore SMARTWALL panels for this project! We are so thankful!