These Basil & Corn Cakes with Tomato Avocado Salsa are the perfect summer appetizer! They’re easy to make and are SO delicious!
With summer here I’ve lost a bit of my blogging mojo. Putting together blog posts with kids fighting and screaming in the background is not the easiest thing in the world to do. Not to mention, it’s hard to cook with the heat and spending so much time at the beach and out of the house.
But recently we had some friends over for a BBQ, and it was the perfect time to try out a new recipe! And the perfect excuse for a blog post…funny how when you’re a blogger, you see everything as a potential blog post, hahaha 😉
I had originally seen the recipe for these corn cakes by Ezra Pound Cake on Pinterest, and I just knew they would be so good! You know how sometimes you see a recipe and you just know?! Well they didn’t disappoint, and we will definitely be having them again. They are easy to make and taste so delicious!
I served them with my fresh salsa recipe and shish kebabs! Dinner was gooooood!
These Basil & Corn Cakes with Tomato Avocado Salsa are the perfect summer appetizer! They’re easy to make and are SO delicious! Make the salsa first so it has time to rest to let the flavours combine.
- 6 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 or 2 ripe avocados
- 1 pepper (yellow or orange for colour interest)
- 2 tbsp chopped green onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- handful chopped cilantro
- juice from 1-2 limes (depending on your tastes)
- 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil (depending on how much lime juice you use)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups cooked corn kernels (I just used 2 – 19oz cans of whole kernel corn)
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- canola oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients.
- Let rest for about an hour to let the flavours combine.
- You can make these ahead of time and keep them warm in your oven before serving time. So preheat your oven to 200 degrees.
- In a food processor pulse 2 cups of the corn (keep the other 1/2 cup aside), until it is slightly pureed but still chunky. When done, put the pureed corn into a bowl with the 1/2 cup whole corn kernels and mix.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Mix in the corn, onion and basil.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper.
- Then add the wet mix to the flour mix, and stir until just combined.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add some canola oil for frying – just enough to cover the bottom of the pan – you don’t need much.
- Add the batter 1 heaping tbsp at a time, and cook each side 1-2 minutes, until they are golden brown. It is best to not crowd the pan, so only make 4-5 at a time.
- When they are done, transfer them to the oven to keep warm.
These corn cakes were really, really delicious. Savoury and sweet at the same time! They would be perfect served with any type of BBQ meat, or just on their own! Definitely worth the effort! And even the kids liked them – score!
Have a delicious day!