Hello everyone! Now I am well aware that summer is not upon us at this moment in time, but when you are a Canadian and you face more than 6 months of the year in winter, there is no time like the present to BBQ! We actually BBQ as much in the winter as we do in the summer, and yes, we even brave -30 temperatures. It’s not unusual to see us in parkas and toques BBQing in the darkness of winter. We’re crazy like that! 😉
I find that we even tend to BBQ more this time of year, because in March there is the slightest glimmer of hope that winter is ending…we have some very nice days, and the evenings are lighter, so it feels more hopeful. So today I’m going to share with you a super easy and delicious recipe for your BBQ:
Beer & BBQ Flank Steak
One of our most favourite BBQ’d meals are marinated flank steaks. Flank steaks are inexpensive cuts of meat that are great for marinating. Delish!
This is a nice simple recipe, and chances are you have most of the ingredients in your pantry & fridge right now. One of the great things about this recipe too is, that you can tailor the flavours to your tastebuds! Just use your favourite beer and BBQ sauce. Seriously, beer + BBQ sauce = match made in BBQ heaven! I hope you enjoy this recipe!
- 1 – 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- 1/3 cup beer
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Montreal Steak Spice (or see Tips!)
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary (crushed)
- In a bowl combine all the ingredients for the marinade (everything except the meat). Set aside.
- Using a fork, pierce the flank steak all over, front and back. Then put it into a large ziplock bag.
- Add the marinade to the bag, then seal the bag. Turn the steak around inside the bag making sure the steak is well coated with the marinade.
- Let the steak sit in the marinade for at least 2 hours. We like it even better when it is marinated overnight.
- When you are ready to cook it, preheat your BBQ to high heat. See Tips!
- Brush the grill with a little bit of oil, then add your steak, sear it on both sides, then turn down the heat to medium, and cook each side about 7 minutes, or longer if you prefer it more well done.
- Remove the steak from the BBQ and let it rest about 5 minutes before you slice it up and serve it. When slicing flank steak, make sure to cut against the grain of the meat.
If you don’t have Montreal Steak Spice, you can substitute it with: 1/4 tsp paprika, 1/4 – 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/4 – 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes.
Slice it up, serve it with some extra BBQ sauce, a frosty beer and some potatoes and veggies…perfection!
More delicious flank steak recipes:
Thanks for reading, and have a delicious day!