These cupcakes my friends, are the ultimate holiday indulgence! What’s better than a rich chocolate cupcake with a creamy cream cheese filling?! My mom started making these years ago, and now Christmas just isn’t the same if there aren’t any Black Bottom Cupcakes on the treat plate!
They’re also great because you can make them ahead of time, and put them in your freezer until you are ready to serve them. Just bring them out about an hour before you want to devour them! (We actually like them even more when they are a tiny bit cold).
Step #1: Cream cheese topping
- 1 – 8 oz package cream cheese – room temperature
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Step #2: Chocolate cupcake batter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
Step #1 – Cream cheese topping:
- With an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese, egg and sugar. Mix until it is smooth.
- Add the chocolate chips and combine.
- Set aside.
Step #2 – Chocolate cupcake batter:
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa, soda and salt.
- Combine water, oil, vinegar and vanilla, then add to the dry mixture.
- Mix well, until the batter is smooth.
Step #3: Filling the Muffin Cups & Baking
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a muffin tin with paper muffing cups.
- Fill the muffin cups with the chocolate cupcake batter about 1/3 to 1/2 full.
- Then drop a large spoonful of the cheese mix on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Don’t be tempted to eat them when they are warm! They need a few hours to sit to let the flavour settle in! Even better? Wait until the next day!
(Recipe from the Best of Bridge)
Seriously sooooo good!
And how about some fun?! In honour of keeping it real here, this is what food styling really looks like in my house. For reals.