You can make this dish ahead of time, and keep it in your fridge until you want to bake it in the morning. Or if you are pinched for time, you can bake it as soon as you make it as well.
- 5 – 6 cups of chunks of bread (I used Challah bread)
- 1 – 8 oz package of Philadelphia Cream Cheese (cut into small pieces)
- 2 cups of blueberries See tips. (fresh or frozen)
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups light cream (I used half & half)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, milk, and vanilla. Set aside.
- Next prepare a glass baking dish. I like to rub mine lightly with butter.
- Sprinkle in half of the bread.
- Add the chunks of cream cheese and blueberries.
- Sprinkle on the remaining chunks of bread.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture over the bread.
- Sprinkle on the 2 tbsp sugar.
- If you are baking this dish in the morning, cover the dish with tin foil and put it in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 30 minutes more, until golden brown and puffy.
- Serve with syrup.
If you are using frozen blueberries, toss them first in about 1 tsp of flour. This will help to make sure the blueberries don’t stain the bread and turn everything blue.