This Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake is a delicious way to use up some fresh or frozen blueberries! It’s so good!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 – 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs, and one at a time.
- Add the vanilla. Mix well.
- To the butter mix, add 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- In a bowl, gently toss the blueberries with 1 tsp of flour. This will make sure that the blueberries don’t stain the cake batter.
- Gently stir the blueberries into the cake batter. Don’t use a mixer, just hand mix it with a spoon, being careful not to mash the blueberries.
- Pour/press the batter into a 9×9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle the cake with 1 – 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.