This recipe is meant to be made in a bread machine.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup canned fresh pumpkin (see notes)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- Measure all the bread ingredients in the order that they are listed, into the bread machine.
- Select the dough cycle.
- After the dough cycle has completed, remove the dough to a lightly floured surface and cover with a clean tea towel and let rest for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After this time, divide the dough into 3 portions.
- Roll each portion into a long rope, one inch thick.
- Then braid the 3 ropes, sealing each end by pinching the dough together.
- Place the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover with a clean tea towel and let rest and rise in a warm place for 35 – 45 minutes, or until the bread has doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In the mean time, mix together the egg yolk and water.
- When the bread is done rising, brush the top of the bread with the egg mixture.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes. When the bread is done, it will sound hollow when you tap on it.
Tip! You can use any kind of mashed squash that you like. I have used butternut squash as well, and it’s delicious!