Hi friends! It’s Wednesday…half way until the weekend and March break for us. I’m looking forward to one week of not having to fly out of bed and rush kids out the door to school. Just a week of get up when we want and do what we want with our time…ahhhhh. And a chance to catch up from the time change…time changes are hard aren’t they? Who invented them anyway…what were they thinking?! I admit, I do love the extra sunshine…but that hour, that 1 hour, it’s amazing the havoc it wreaks. Zzzzzzz
Anyway, we’re talking broccoli today. Little green trees of yumminess. And I love them. You?
One of my favourite recipes for broccoli is this Broccoli Salad. I made this salad as one of my very first blog posts way back when, and since I recently got a new camera and I was making this for a get together this past weekend, I felt it necessary to blog it again. New camera means a need to take pictures of everything. Everything. And this is the first photo I took with my new camera. And I’m kind of loving it. 😉
This broccoli salad with mandarin oranges, red onions, tangy dressing and bacon, it’s broccoli heaven I tell you. Everything is better with bacon right?Print
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar (See tips below.)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 cups broccoli (cut in bite size pieces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 mandarin oranges (peeled and separated)
- 1/2 red onion (thinly sliced)
Make the dressing first:
- In a saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
- Add vinegar and water and cook slowly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise. Cool slightly.
Making the salad:
- Toss the dressing and the broccoli together, then refrigerate for a few hours, to marinate.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, toss in the remaining ingredients.
Recipe from Best of Bridge
– – – – – – – – – – – –
This salad is perfect with baked ham…in fact this dish makes it onto almost every Easter dinner table with our ham. And I can’t imagine it any other way. Baked ham, broccoli salad, dill scalloped potatoes and buns. Best spring menu ever.
I hope you try it!