This month I was looking for something good for the kids to snack on. If you have young ones around, I’m sure you are asked a million times a day for a snack. And truth be told, I hate snack time, because it seems to be snack time all the time around here! So I decided to make this Brown Sugar Baked Granola as a great self-serve treat for after school!
This is a simple, flexible, tasty and inexpensive snack that you can make at home! Perfect for after school, hikes, cross country ski trips or skating adventures at the lake. Pack into little individual packages, and you have nutritious and yummy trail mix snack for your whole family.
- 4 cups rolled oats (don’t use quick oats)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
Tasty ingredients to add after baking (I used about 1 cup combined)
- candy coated chocolate
- shredded coconut
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium to large pot, melt butter, then mix in sugar and water.
- Add vanilla and cinnamon. Combine.
- Add oats. Mix well.
- Spread onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. The granola won’t stick to the parchment paper, so it’s a must to use!
- Bake for 15-25 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t burn. See tips.
- Once the granola has cooled, add some tasty treats like candy coated chocolate, nuts or shredded coconut.
Granola Recipe Tips!
- If you like granola more chewy, then bake it for about 15 minutes. If you like it more crunchy and with more toasted oat-y flavour, bake it longer. One thing to note, the granola will harden as it cools, so don’t fret if it’s falling apart. After about 15 minutes or so of cooling, it will harden into chunks.
- Substitution idea: I think next time I would substitute in some honey for a nice honey flavour. I would probably use 1/3 cup brown sugar and 2/3 cup honey.
- Addition idea: 1/4 – 1/2 cup of peanut butter mixed in (before baking, with the butter and sugar) would be delicious too. Yum!
- Substitution idea: You can also substitute peanut butter for the butter if you want to make Peanut Butter Granola. I would use about 1/4 – 1/2 cup.
- More tasty additions: For extra nutrition you can add chia seeds, hemp seeds, raisins, shredded coconut (about 1/2 cup)…use your imagination!
- 1 batch of your homemade brown sugar baked granola
- 1 cup nuts of your choice (toasted or untoasted)
- 1/3 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup large flaked coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- Break up the baked granola into chunks.
- Combine all ingredients.
- Store in a closed container in a cool dry place.
Trail Mix Recipe Tips!
- The best thing about making homemade trail mix is that you can add what ever you like to it. The possibilities are endless! Here are some options!
- Dried fruit of all kinds: apricots, cherries, blueberries, apples, craisins
- Sunflower seeds
- All kinds of nuts: peanuts, cashews, almonds, pecans, walnuts, either toasted or untoasted. Toasted nuts pack more flavour!
- If you want to make a nut-free version, add candy roasted chickpeas instead of nuts!