This Cabbage Roll Soup is a hearty, healthy and delicious dinner…and it tastes just like cabbage rolls! Ready in 1 hour!
- 1 1/2 – 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 6 – 7 cups chopped green cabbage
- 6 slices of cooked bacon (chopped finely)
- 2 – 10 oz cans beef consomme
- 1 – 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 5 oz can of tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups plain tomato sauce (basically 1 – 23 oz can)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 leaves bay
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a stock (soup) pot, brown the ground beef with the onions, garlic and carrots.
- When the beef is cooked, drain any excess grease.
- Return the pot to low-medium heat, and add the chopped cooked bacon. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the chopped cabbage and cook for about 2 minutes more.
- Add the remaining ingredients: consomme, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, sugar, rice and salt & pepper.
- Simmer for 35 – 40 minutes (or until the rice is tender).
This soup will thicken over time, so you may want to add more water or a water/consomme mix.
- Category: Soup