On weekends my husband is the pancake maker, and lately he’s been on a kick to make every kind of pancake possible. Nothing is safe. No really. The man loves his pancakes! We even dreamed, way back when…a long long long time ago when we were young and carefree…of running a pancake breakfast place. But then you know reality, it tends to set in and rain on parades.
So instead we have our own pancakepalooza on weekends at our house and I’m always eager to see what pancake plans my hubby has in store for us.
This past weekend they were Carrot Cake pancakes. Yes please. I love carrot cake. Yum yum yum. The best part of this pancake? The Cream Cheese Drizzle. Whoa Nelly.
Now don’t run away from these pancakes thinking they are any harder to make than regular pancakes, because they’re not. They’re simple and delicious (and don’t tell anyone that they might even be good for you…)!
These are amazing with Cream Cheese Drizzle.
Carrot Cake Pancakes
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds (optional)
- chopped nuts (optional)
Cream Cheese Drizzle
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tbsp real maple syrup
- 2 tbsp milk (depending on the consistency you want for your drizzle)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- dash cinnamon
Making the Carrot Cake Pancakes
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- In another bowl whisk together the fresh ginger, egg, brown sugar, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Then stir in the grated carrots, raisins and any other optional ingredients you would like.
- Add the carrot mix to the flour mix, and gently combine.
- Set the mixture aside to rest while you make the cream cheese topping.
- When you are ready, cook the pancakes on a medium-high grill, about 2-3 minutes per side, or until you see the bubbles popping. I use about 1/4 cup batter per pancake.
Making the Cream Cheese Drizzle
- We found the best way to mix this was to use a hand blender. It makes it all nice and smooth!
- Just put everything together and mix thoroughly. If the topping is too thick, just add milk a little bit at a time until it’s the way you like it.
- And serve drizzled over your yummy carrot cake pancakes. You can also serve with extra maple syrup if you wish!
These are so delicious, but don’t be tempted to eat that cream cheese drizzle all on its own with a very large spoon…it’s not that delicious…ok…maybe it is. 😉
Have a delicious day!