It’s soup week here on my blog! Yes a full week of delicious soup recipes!
I can’t wait to share with you all the different soups that we have been enjoying after the last while! (You might have gotten a sneak peak of them already on my Instagram feed.) The soups that I will be sharing are all simple to make and bursting with flavour! And to think I had myself convinced that I didn’t like soup…say wha?! I don’t know what I was thinking and missing out on for that matter, but I have learned that I do indeed love soup…they’re hearty and comforting and so delicious! There really is nothing like a hot bowl of soup with crusty bread on a cold day is there?
This first soup that I am serving up to you today is a Cheddar & Ale Chicken Chowder that you can make in the crockpot! Yes. My crock pot is my best friend this time of year. I love that I can put all the ingredients in one dish, turn it on and have dinner ready to go. It’s really such a relief after a busy day to know what we’re having for dinner…no last minute rushing around and stressing about what to serve. The best!
Anyway, this Cheddar & Ale Chicken Chowder is so simple to make…just a few minutes of prep, then all you have to do is sit back and wait for dinner. And what a dinner it is…we enjoyed this soup SO much! The addition of the ale to this soup totally makes this recipe. I really love recipes that have beer or wine in the ingredients, because they add so much flavour to dishes, especially soups. In this chowder, the ale adds such a depth of flavour with the cheese and the chicken…so so good! This soup is hearty as a meal in itself, but it would be extra delicious served with a Chicken Caesar Salad!Print
- 2 boneless (skinless chicken breasts)
- 2 carrots (minced)
- 2 celery (minced)
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- salt & pepper
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 mL bottle of ale (341, I used Rickard’s Red Irish-style Red Ale)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups half & half cream
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a skillet on medium-high heat, add a tablespoon of oil and cook the carrots, celery, onions and garlic until soft.
- Stir in the flour, salt & pepper, dry mustard and bay leaves and cook for about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the beer.
- Transfer this mixture to a crock pot and add the chicken breasts and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once time is up, remove the chicken breasts and shred the meat.
- Then return the shredded chicken to the crock pot.
- Stir in the cream and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes longer, stirring a couple of time until the cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy immensely!
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
SO delicious! I really hope you try this soup…it is amazing!
– – – – – – –
– – – – – – –
Have a delicious day!
Disclosure: I am participating in the Chicken Farmers of Canada campaign managed by SJ Consulting. I received compensation in exchange for my participation in this campaign. The opinions on this blog are my own.