This Cherry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake is a delicious and tender vanilla cake made with fresh and flavourful BC Cherries!
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh pitted and chopped fresh cherries (cut the cherries into quarters)
- 1 tsp flour
- 1 – 2 tbsp sugar for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Preparing the Cherries:
- Cut the fresh cherries in half and remove the pit.
- Then cut the cherries into quarters (each cherry should be cut into 4 pieces).
- Set aside.
Making the Vanilla Buttermilk Cake:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs to the butter mix, one at a time.
- Add in the vanilla. Mix well.
- To the butter mix, add 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- In a bowl, gently toss the chopped cherries with 1 tsp of flour. This will help to keep the cherries from staining the cake batter.
- Using just a wooden spoon, gently stir the cherries into the cake batter. Don’t use a mixer or the batter will become pink.
- Pour/press the batter into a 9×9 baking pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with 1 – 2 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Bake the cake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.