Chicken Pie Filling:
- 4 chicken breasts (or you can use 10-12 chicken thighs)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 in med/large potato peeled and cut into chunks (or 6 baby potatoes (cut half))
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 onions (chopped)
- 3 celery sticks (diced)
- 2 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen corn or peas
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 inches sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed (12Ã12 ))
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks, then in a large deep frying pan, brown the chicken in about 1 tbsp olive oil. Salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In a separate pot, partially cook your chunks of potato. Basically just boil it for about 2 minutes. Then drain and set aside.
- In the same frying pan that was used to cook the chicken, cook the onions, celery and carrots in 1 tbsp oil. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- When the onions, celery and carrots are soft, add the thyme, bay leaf and flour. Stir while cooking for 1 minute.
- Then add the stock to the onion mixture. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. This takes about 4 minutes.
- When the stock mixture has thickened, add the potato and chicken.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into an oven proof casserole dish, or deep pie dish.
- Bake covered, without the crust for 1 1/2 hours.
Putting the Pot Pie together:
- After the 1 1/2 hour baking time has passed, remove the dish from the oven, remove the bay leaf, then stir in the frozen vegetables and cream.
- Then add the thawed puff pastry sheet to the top of the pie dish, making sure to cover the edges.
- Using a knife, cut vents into the pastry (I like to put 2, 4-inch vents into my crusts).
- Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake for about 30 minutes more, or until the crust is nice and golden brown.