Today I made cookies. Cookies with regular flour, butter, eggs, vanilla and lots and lots of chocolate. And I ate 5. They were delicious and I have no guilt. 🙂
But I had the perfect excuse to make cookies today! (Does anyone ever really need an excuse though?) But I really did have a perfectly good reason to make these. You see, my most favourite magazine of all time, Chatelaine, hosts a Cooking Club Challenge every other Friday for their readers, and this month was a cookie challenge. And I wanted to participate. There were 5 cookie recipes that they had us choose from, ranging from gluten free cookies to peanut butter cookies to the good old fashioned chocolate chip cookie.
I decided to make the good old fashioned chocolate chip cookies. And they are to die for. Just when you think you’ve got chocolate chip cookies down pat, along comes another recipe that beats the one you’ve been using for years. These are that good. I think it’s the chopped up chocolate that does it for me…you are guaranteed a little bit of chocolate deliciousness in every bite!
They’re soft, chewy and SO chocolatey. And they are not fussy to make at all. Just easy, and delicious!
This. This is a go-to recipe!
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips or coarsely chopped dark chocolate chunks (See Notes)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or slightly oil it.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugar until creamy, about 1 min.
- Then beat in the egg and vanilla.
- Gradually add the flour mixture into butter mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Mix in chocolate chips.
- Use about 1 tbsp of cookie dough for each cookie, and place your cookie sheet, placing them about 2 inches apart. Don’t press them down as they will spread as they bake.
- Bake until the cookies are golden around the edges, about 8 to 10 min.
I didn’t have any dark chocolate chips so I just used regular chocolate chips and chopped up 2 semi-sweet chocolate baking squares.
Best chocolate chip cookies ever. I enjoyed doing this little cooking challenge – it gave me an excuse to bake something, and I always love a good challenge. I’ll definitely be participating again! If you are interested in participating too, here are more details (and you don’t have to have a blog…all you have to do is submit a picture of your dish!)