These Chocolate Cupcakes with Pink Marshmallow Buttercream are a delicious and pretty treat for your next party! A super chocolatey cupcake base with a soft marshmallowy buttercream topping. SO good.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong coffee, it can be warm or cool (you can substitute water if you wish)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 cups icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 – 3 tsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 – 198 g container of Marshmallow fluff
- salt to taste (optional)
- red food colouring
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your baking pans with cupcake liners. You can either make 18 large cupcakes or 24 medium cupcakes.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla.
- Add the milk/egg mixture to dry ingredients, and mix on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until the batter is smooth.
- Pour the cupcake batter evenly into the cupcake liners. Gently tap the pans on the countertop to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes (on the shorter end of time for smaller cupcakes), or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking you can make the marshmallow buttercream.
- Sift the icing sugar (confectioners sugar). Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the butter until it is soft and fluffy, this process should take at least 10 minutes. You’ll have to scrape the sides of the bowl several times.
- Add the sifted icing sugar, and mix until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and heavy cream 1 tsp at a time, and beat until smooth. Note: add the heavy cream 1 tsp at a time to get the consistency of icing that you want. I like mine not too soft and not stiff either…so I usually end up adding about 2 tsp.
- Beat in the marshmallow fluff until smooth.
- Add in a few drops of red food colouring until you get the pink colour you want.
- Decorate your cupcakes: I used a Wilton 1M tip to make the icing roses.