Cowboy Caviar is a hearty, healthy and delicious appetizer! Feeds a crowd too! Serve it with tortilla chips, fresh salsa and cilantro. So good.
– – – – –
I cannot believe how fast time is flying by. It feels like we just had summer, and now I’m planning for Thanksgiving, which by the way for me here in Canada is this weekend. Yes, this weekend. I don’t know what I was thinking, but honestly it snuck up on me. I was away all last week on some blogging business and fun with SheBlogs and Blissdom Canada, and so I completely forgot about Thanksgiving. How does one even do that?!
I’m not going to stress out, I’m just going to keep things casual and delicious. That’s the plan anyway. No elaborate menu, just a good old fashioned turkey dinner! Yum! I’m actually really looking forward to it, because I haven’t had the time to stress out over the planning part.
But you know, the thing about holidays that stresses me out the most is actually the snack planning. I’m terrible at arranging snacks. Everyone needs snacks, but really they’re just a pain in the butt for me. But folks gotta snack you know? 😉
I think I’ll make this.
There are many, many versions of this appetizer but heh, I’ll give you another. This snack is hearty and healthy so you don’t have to have much guilt when eating it! It’s delicious and a big time crowd pleaser!
And it makes a huge amount, so you may even end up with leftovers for the next day, which are just as scrumptious!Print
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1 can chickpeas rinsed
- 1 can corn
- 1 can sliced black olives
- 1 – 2 tbsp large avocados, chopped and mixed with 3 fresh lime juice
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream, less if you wish…start with 1/2 cup
- 2 – 4 tbsp of homemade taco seasoning, season to taste. See Notes
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 – 1 cup chopped Cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Let sit for at least one hour in fridge before serving. You can serve it right away, but if you let it rest, the flavours all come together so nicely!
- Serve and enjoy with tortilla chips!
If you don’t want to make your own taco seasoning, you can just use a premixed package of taco seasoning. Just omit any extra salt that you might add.
Recipe adapted from Keeping with the times
If you would like to make your own taco seasoning for this Cowboy Caviar, here is the recipe.