This Easy Lemon Loaf is perfectly tangy and bursting with fresh lemon flavour!
– – – – – – –
When we first moved to Calgary as newlyweds, we lucked out and met some great neighbours, Jason and Allyson, who quickly became good friends for the short time they lived here. Over 10 years later we still keep in touch, and are crossing our fingers to be neighbours again one day! Anyway, I remember one day Allyson brought over a newly baked and warm lemon loaf that was so delicious that I had to have the recipe! Of course I did. The cake was light, sweet and perfectly lemony.
Now I make this lemon loaf every year in January or February, which coincides with when my in-laws would bring back a box of citrus fruit for us from Arizona. With so many fresh lemons to use, this loaf recipe is a perfect way to enjoy a mid winter pick me up.
I actually prefer this loaf after it has sat for a day, and the fresh lemon/sugar mix has had a chance to soak into the bread. It just gets more flavourful and moist the longer you let it rest…but no longer than a day because there’s a fine line between when a loaf is moist, then all of a sudden it’s dry. So moral of the story, let it sit overnight and enjoy it the next day. This loaf really is good so you’ll probably finish it in one sitting anyway.
This time of year a lemon loaf is a nice little ray of much needed sunshine. Enjoy it with a cup of tea and your family or friends!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Grated rind from 1 lemon
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a loaf pan by lining it with wax paper. Set aside.
- With a mixer cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs, 1 at a time.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add 1/2 of the flour mix to the butter mix.
- Then add 1/2 of the milk.
- Add the remaining flour mix.
- Mix in the remaining milk and lemon gratings.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- In the mean time, combine the juice from 1 lemon with 1/4 cup sugar.
- When the cake is done baking, take it out of the oven, and pierce holes in it with a knife – make sure to get to the bottom of the loaf so the lemon juice mixture can get right down into the cake. Pour lemon juice/sugar mix over warm cake.
- Let sit. This cake is even better the next day.
More Delicious Lemon Recipes:
- Lemon Scones and serve them with Lemon Curd Glaze
- Lemon Bundt Cake
- Easy Lemon Mousse
- Lemon Cream Fruit Tart
Have a delicious day!