This Easy Strawberry Rhubarb Cake is a delicious and moist white cake with a layer of rhubarb and strawberry jello, and swirled with cinnamon and sugar.
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling:
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 1 package of strawberry jello (4 serving package)
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar Mix:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare an 9 x 13 baking pan. You can either rub it with butter, line it with parchment paper or use a flour spray (this is what I do). Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the chopped rhubarb and strawberry jello. Set aside.
- Using a mixer cream together the butter and sugar.
- Then mix in the eggs.
- Mix in the sour cream.
- In another bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Then combine the butter mixture with the flour mixture to make the batter.
- Now make the cinnamon sugar mixture in a separate bowl.
- Spread half of the batter in an 9 x 13 prepared baking pan.
- Layer the rhubarb mixture evenly over the batter.
- Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Layer on the rest of the batter. Recipe Tip! The batter is a bit difficult to spread at this point, so I put dollops of the batter all around the pan and smooth it out as best I can. It’s ok if it picks up pieces of rhubarb as you spread it.
- Then sprinkle on the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.