- 1 clove garlic (cut in half lengthwise)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 lb Gruyere and/or Emmentaler cheese. Shredded should make about 9 cups total.
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
Dippers for Cheese Fondue:
- Chunks of bread
- Cooked meat
- Fresh Vegetables: grape tomatoes (broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms)
- Roasted Vegetables: cauliflower (potatoes, bell peppers, onions, mushrooms)
- Before you get your fondue pot hot, rub the inside of it thoroughly with the cut garlic halves, then thrown them out.
- Pour the wine into the fondue pot, and place over medium-low heat. (See notes)
- When the wine starts to bubble, add the cheese by the handful, stirring until melted and combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with lemon juice until the cornstarch dissolves, then stir the mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Continue whisking the cheese mixture until it is smooth and bubbling slightly.
- Serve immediately.