A delicious roll-out and cut-out sugar cookie dough recipe that is perfect to make these Iced Winter Sugar Cookies.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
Sugar Cookie Icing
- 1 cup icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- 3 tsp milk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp corn syrup
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture, 1 cupful at a time, until fully blended.
- Press the dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough onto a piece of parchment paper, then using a rolling pin roll out the dough to a 1/4 inch thickness.
- Using cookie cutters cut out different shapes and place them onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes if the cookies are medium sized. If you are making small cookies you will need to bake them for less time (about 8 minutes). I like to bake mine so that the edges of the cookies are barely lightly brown…if you bake them too long they will be more crunchy, and we like them soft and chewy.
- Let cool on a rack.
- Once the cookies are fully cooled, ice them as you wish!
Sugar Cookie Icing
- In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth.
- Then mix in the corn syrup until the icing is smooth.
- Add food colouring in the colour of your choice and mix well.
- Using a piping bag, have fun decorating your sugar cookies! Tip: If you don’t have a piping bag, you can also use a ziplock bag with the corner snipped off.
- TIP: if the icing is too thick, you may need to add a little more corn syrup or milk…add small amounts at a time until you get the consistency you desire. Just remember you need it to be thick enough to pipe on to the cookies.