With only 10 days until Christmas (when on earth did that happen?), I am seeing that I am no where near ready! I’ve got gifts still to buy, and more baking to do… It’s time for me to get down to business! Time to bake and fill those cookie jars!
So I started with one of my favourite cookies ever, Jewish Shortbread. These cookies are rich, nutty and sweet. You just can’t go wrong with sugar, cinnamon and ground pecans, especially during the holidays.
So let’s get baking together! I bet you’ve got all these ingredients in your pantry right now…grab an apron, preheat your oven, let’s go!
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup finely ground pecans
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- pinch salt
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- Cream together butter and sugar, until smooth and fluffy.
- Add vanilla. Mix.
- Add pecans, flour and salt. Mix well.
- Using about a 1 inch ball of dough, shape the dough into a crescent and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 14-16 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking, in a bowl combine the 1/2 cup sugar and the 4 tsp cinnamon. Set aside.
- After the cookies have baked, let them sit for about 5 minutes, then coat them in the sugar/cinnamon mix. Make sure the cookies are warm when you do this (not hot).