A delicious Layered Carrot Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting. Pumpkin puree is added to this cake batter to make this cake rich and tender!
- 1 1/2 packages of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tsp grated orange zest
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed or ground chia seeds (I just used 2 tbsp whole chia seeds)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (I only used 1/4 because I don’t love nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cups walnuts (optional – I didn’t add these)
- 1/2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
- First make the icing. Beat together the cream cheese and butter until it is smooth.
- Slowly add the icing sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add the orange juice and zest, mix well.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to use it.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 2 round 9-inch baking pans. You can grease & flour them or line the bottoms with wax paper like I did in this post.
- In a bowl combine the flour, chia seeds, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, combine the pumpkin, sugar, buttermilk, vegetable oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly to the wet mixture, and using a spoon combine until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Then gently add the carrots, nuts and coconut. Hand mix.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the 2 pans, and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cakes come out clean.
- When done baking, cool the cakes in their pans for 10 minutes before turning them out onto a cooling rack.
- When the cakes have cooled completely, you can ice them!