Here’s a little Mexican inspiration for Cinco de Mayo! I don’t know about you, but one of my most favourite types of food is Mexican. Yum. We especially love tacos! And flank steak. So the two together, is a match made in heaven.
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (~4-6 limes)
- If you are feeling adventurous (add 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced)
- Combine all of the above ingredients together (minus the steak of course). Set aside.
Marinating the Meat:
- After you have made your marinade take your flank steak and using a fork, pierce the steak all over, front and back. This will allow the meat to soak up the flavours of the marinade.
- Cover the steak in marinade, making sure to coat both sides.
- Then one of two things can happen here. You can cover and marinate your meat for at least 4 hours, but it’s best left overnight. OR, you can freeze the meat & marinade in a ziplock bag for another day, just take out and de-thaw before cooking.
Now it’s time to BBQ:
- Preheat your BBQ on the highest setting.
- Marinated flank steak on the BBQ is easy to do, BUT, it will flare the first time you set it on the grill!! Please be aware!! I’m talking full on flames! (See picture below.)
- With the BBQ on hight heat, sear both sides, then turn down the heat to med-high, and cook for approximately 7 minutes on each side. Approximately 15 minutes total. We like ours slightly pink inside, so you may want to cook yours longer… Just watch it.
- After you remove it from the grill, cover the steak with tin foil, and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice the steak thinly across the grain of the meat.
Serve on corn or flour tortillas. Add some salsa, sour cream and what ever else you like on tacos, and you have a fantastic Cinco de Mayo dinner!
Now it’s taco time!
These tacos are amazing with fresh salsa. We love a fresh tomato & mango salsa that I make. Just click on the picture below to get the recipe!
More delicious flank steak recipes:
Have a delicious day!