- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili powder (see notes)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Then add the eggs and mix well.
- Then gradually add the flour mix to the butter mix, until combined.
- In a separate bowl mix together the ingredients for the Spicy Sprinkle: sugar, cinnamon and chili powder.
- Using about 1 tbsp of batter, roll the dough into balls.
- Then roll the balls in the sugar/spice mix until they are coated.
- Place the balls onto a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart (you don’t have to press them down).
- Bake for about 10 minutes, rotating the cookie sheet half way through.
- The cookies are done once the tops are cracked.
- When the cookies are done baking and they are removed from the oven, let them rest on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- The chili powder adds a really nice subtle flavour and kick to these cookies. At ½ tsp you get a tiny bit of flavour and spice, but if you really want to kick it up a notch, use 1 tsp!
- You can freeze these cookies too, which is great for the holiday season!