My Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins are a delicious and nutritious muffin! One of my family’s favourite recipes!
– – – – – –
If there is one muffin recipe that I could make and eat over and over it would be this recipe for my Mom’s Oatmeal Muffins. In fact, I make a batch of these at least once a month, sometimes more. I first had these muffins when I was a kid and my Mom would make them for us, so they’re basically comfort food for me. Now I make them for my own family…family recipes really are the best.
This recipe is really uncomplicated and only takes a few minutes to assemble, which means that within about a half hour you can have a batch of fresh baked muffins ready to enjoy. Love that. But mostly I just really love how delicious they are…they’re tender, oat-y and so good!
These Oatmeal Muffins are perfect for lunch boxes and after school snacks. Or invite a friend over for coffee or a spice tea, and plate of homemade muffins. So good.
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour (for extra nutrition (you can use 1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 2/3 cup white flour))
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the oats and buttermilk, and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, soda and baking powder.
- In another bowl combine the oil, egg and brown sugar. Then add this to the oat mix.
- Then combine the oat mix with the flour mix.
- Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- Scoop the batter evenly between 12 muffin cups for 12 large muffins, or you if you want smaller muffins, spread the batter between 16 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
I like to cut back on the wheat flour, so I often make these muffins with 1/2 flour and 1/2 cup oat flour. They’re a little more crumbly and not as big, but they’re just as good in terms of flavour.