This Summer Peach Pie is a perfect dessert! The crust is tender and flaky, and the filling sweet and full of delicious peach flavour!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup shortening (lard)
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups sliced peaches (Optional: remove skins first)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Making the Pie Crust:
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.
- With a pie cutter, cut in shortening until the particles are pea sized.
- Sprinkle in water, 1 tsp or so at a time, mixing lightly with a fork. Don’t over mix or the crust will be tough.
- Press into a ball. It is okay if it is crumbly.
- Separate the ball into 2 balls: one for the bottom crust and one for the top.
Making the Peach Pie Filling:
- In a bowl combine peaches, sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice.
Baking the pie:
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll out one ball of the pie crust for the bottom of your pie. Then place it into your pie plate. Gently press down.
- Add the peach pie filling.
- For the pie crust top, roll out the other ball of dough and place it over the top of your pie. Press together the edges of the crust. Then trim off the extra dough.
- Using a knife make air vents by cutting slits in the crust.
- If you want to make a fancy crust, use a small cookie cutter and create shapes for the crust topping. Randomly place them on the pie filling. (Refer to the pictures above)
- Brush the crust lightly with milk, then generously sprinkle the crust with a cinnamon and sugar mix.
- In your preheated 425 degree oven, bake your pie for 20 minutes.
- Then after this time slip a cookie sheet onto the rack below your pie, then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 35-40 minutes more. Bake until the crust is golden brown and your filling is bubbling in the vents.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream!