Baking with beets? YES.
Well this recipe was an experiment. I saw it in the magazine, Chatelaine, and something about it appealed to me. I love beets, but would I love them with chocolate?! I’m all for disguising superfoods, and getting nutrition into my family, so I thought I would try them.
Well…. they were ok. Not out of this world. Not something you would make to ‘Wow’ your company. But good for a weeknight dessert. The kids actually liked them. A lot. So in that sense, the recipe was a success. Would I make them again? I think so…
I thought I’d share, because say what you want about beets, but their colour is out of this world!
Seriously, look at the colour! So pretty.
- 1 – 398 mL can rosebud beets (or fresh – see tips)
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 container vanilla icing
- Drain beets. Rinse and pat dry. Puree in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add egg. Beat.
- Then add beets and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups (filling each cup about 3/4 full).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely before icing.