- 1 – 398 mL can rosebud beets (or fresh – see tips)
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 container vanilla icing
- Drain beets. Rinse and pat dry. Puree in a blender or food processor. Set aside.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda and salt. Set aside.
- Beat sugar and oil for about 2 minutes.
- Add egg. Beat.
- Then add beets and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- Divide batter into 12 muffin cups (filling each cup about 3/4 full).
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then remove to a rack to cool completely before icing.