This Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake is a perfect recipe for all of your garden fresh rhubarb. It makes a great brunch or snack cake!
– – – – – –
I cannot get enough of rhubarb, seriously. I could bake with rhubarb for days…so when ever I am able to get my hands on any, I make sure that I bake as much as I can with it. I often have good luck finding rhubarb in our local grocery store, but early this spring I planted a small rhubarb plant, and amazingly it grew into a huge plant so I had plenty of rhubarb to use! And this is a good thing for you because I made this Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake and I think you’re going to love it. Love love it.
I find that rhubarb can be substituted into all kinds of recipes pretty seamlessly, and especially recipes with strawberries. But I really love the tart and unique flavour of rhubarb on it’s own so I wanted to make something with rhubarb as the star of the show. Rhubarb always bakes nicely into a cake, so I knew that was what I wanted to make, and I had the perfect recipe for it. For this cake I used my Blueberry Buttermilk Breakfast Cake recipe as a guide, and instead of the blueberries, I substituted in fresh rhubarb, and it came together beautifully. The cake is tender and tastes like vanilla, then you get scrumptious bites of the tart rhubarb with the brown sugar topping, oh my it’s cake heaven.
This cake will definitely be on my baking go-to list for years to come. Aside from a snacking cake, I think it would be perfect for brunch served alongside eggs, bacon and fresh fruit. Delicious.
This cake is a really easy cake to make. The ingredients are simple, so if you’ve got rhubarb to use, I bet you could make this in no time. You won’t regret it.
You want a bite don’t you? I don’t blame you one bit.
Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake:
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
Brown Sugar Topping:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp melted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9×9 baking pan with a flour/oil spray. Set aside.
Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake:
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- With a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs, and one at a time.
- Add the vanilla. Mix well.
- To the butter mix, add 1/3 of the flour mix, then 1/2 of the buttermilk. Repeat until all combined.
- Gently stir the chopped rhubarb into the cake batter. Don’t use a mixer, just hand mix it with a spoon.
- Pour/press the batter into a 9×9 baking pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ingredients for the brown sugar topping: brown sugar, cinnamon and melted butter.
- Sprinkle the cake with the brown sugar mix.
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
If you’re craving more rhubarb, here are some delicious recipes!
Have a delicious day!